Luxury in a Bush Setting
Boroka Downs offers couples award winning luxury, nature-based Grampians luxury accommodation and romantic getaways in a secluded environment in the majestic Grampians. Sensitivity to the nature is a feature.
As a nature based retreat Boroka Downs has been designed, built and is operated with luxury and environmental sustainability as its main objectives. Indicative of our commitment Boroka Downs has a Trust for Nature overlay on the property. Using a perpetual covenant, the Trust will protect the wildlife and the habitation on the property forever.
Boroka Downs is also a member of Land for Wildlife promoting the establishment of habitats for wildlife and is also an active Landcare member.
The Residences and Bungalow have been designed and built with environmental sustainability as one of its main goals. To this end, the concept embraced the following initiatives:
- Full insulation envelope in roof, walls and slab.
- Shade Sails during Summer months
- All windows double glazed and tinted.
- Solar hot water with a gas booster when needed.
- Water efficient shower heads.
- Rain water tank attached to each residence.
Ongoing environmental initiatives include:
- A full recycling program with voluntary guest involvement.
- Use of allergy-free cleaning agents and recycled paper products.
- Sourcing local produce and goods where possible.
- Installation of greywater system and reed bed to treat laundry water.
- New water management plan and modifications to water systems made in a bid to become 100% self-sufficient.
- An ongoing planting program which is evident around the property
Boroka Downs is also a member of Jallukar Landcare, one of 4,500 autonomous community groups Australia wide promoting sustainable land and water management. Over the 15 years of its existence, supported by Federal Government Natural Heritage Funds, the Landcare organisation has changed Australia's approach to rural landscapes. Increasingly, Landcare members focus on whole catchment and regional themes, rather than confining themselves to their own properties.
At Boroka Downs we are concerned about climate change and as you can see we already have many measures in place in an effort to minimise our "carbon footprint". We are continuing to monitor our fuels usage with a view to reducing our emissions further; a handy tool you may wish to use to do the same is the GBRMPA Emissions Calculator;
We also do our best to stay in touch with what's happening in our region, the Wimmera. You can do the same for your area through this government site. Understanding Climate Change
Every little bit helps!
Boroka Downs; Awards
With romance and luxury in mind, Boroka Downs has been widely recognised for its ongoing commitment to excellence and its provision of luxury facilities and service. Boroka Downs is an inductee into the Victorian Tourism Hall of Fame.
The range of experiences and activities we offer are based on the natural wonder of the Grampians National Park and our own nature based facilities. This is achieved without any compromise to the romantic ambience and luxury expected of a world class retreat. In addition, we are well prepared to guide you to the multitude of other activities in the region.
Our biggest award is when guests return for another visit; it happens all the time.